In this video you will see some core progression with correct form using a variety of equipment. Core exercises (as with many movements) can often be performed incorrectly using poor alignment, limited range of motion and poor positioning just to name a few.
We have made this video to help highlight the proper technique with the added bonus of progression (and regression) for the exercise.
Hanging Leg Raises
- Hold the bar with arms extended
- Keep legs together and move them upwards towards the ceiling/sky
- Engage abdominals to create a slight curvature at the base of the spine (lift bottom up)
- Keep body alignment and face forward throughout the movement
- Keep movement slow and controlled (avoid swinging/momentum)
- Breathe in as you lower your body downwards and breathe out as you raise up
The simplified version is the lying leg raises which follows the same principles of the standard exercise with the exception of it being performed on the ground
Core progression options
There are many options, some of which are:
- Leg raises with legs extended (greater lever)
- Toes to bar
- Negative emphasis lever (jumping into lever position)
- Full lever
- Isometric holds at throughout the movement(s)
Let us know your thoughts and please feel free to send us your questions and/or workout videos to share with our blog followers.
Core Stability, Functional Training & Sports Massage for Real Results!
Enter your email address for FREE training advice
Our newsletter is jam packed with great tips, tricks and help with all things health & fitness related