In this video you will see some pull up progression with correct form using a variety of equipment. The pull up (as with many movements) can often be performed incorrectly using poor alignment, limited range of motion and poor positioning just to name a few.
We have made this video to help highlight the proper technique with the added bonus of progression (and regression) for the exercise.
- Start with arms extended
- Retract shoulder blades to begin the movement
- Pull body weight upwards (chest towards bar with chin just over it)
- Squeeze shoulder blades back together at the top of the movement
- Body moves as a unit
- Elbows draw back at a slight angle
- Breathe in as you lower your body downwards and breathe out on the pull up phase
The simplified version is the pull up assist machine (resistance bands can also be used) which follows the same principles of the standard exercise with the exception of it being aided.
Pull up progression options
There are several options which include:
- Negative repetitions
- Single arm assisted
- Single arm full
- Muscle ups
Let us know your thoughts and please feel free to send us your questions and/or workout videos to share with our blog followers.
Core Stability, Functional Training & Sports Massage for Real Results!
Enter your email address for FREE training advice
Our newsletter is jam packed with great tips, tricks and help with all things health & fitness related